Medicaid provides medical benefits to low-income individuals and families. Although the federal government establishes the general rules for Medicaid, specific requirements are established by each state. In Louisiana, over a million residents receive health care coverage through Medicaid, most of whom are children under 19. The Louisiana Medicaid Program operates within the Department of Health and Hospitals.
Do I qualify for Medicaid?
Medicaid eligibility is determined using the Federal Poverty Level income guidelines. Click here to review information about this.
In Louisiana, you qualify to receive Medicaid if you:
You may also qualify for Medicaid coverage if you:
If you live in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, or Plaquemines parish, click here to read more about the GNOCHC program.
How Do I Apply?
There are several ways you can apply for Medicaid or get more information:
1. Apply now or renew coverage for any Medicaid program by visiting the Louisiana Medicaid Online Application Center. Once you submit the online application, it is sent immediately to the Medicaid office for processing, and there is no delay for mailing or faxing a paper form.
2. Call the Medicaid hotline toll free at 1.888.342.6207 for help applying.
3. Contact any Medicaid application center statewide.
4. Download and print a Medicaid application and then mail or fax it to Medicaid at:
P.O. Box 91278
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-9278
5. Contact your local Medicaid office for help applying.
Please click here to ask a question about any of the Medicaid programs.
See Medicaid Resources
Click here to see Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to visit the Medicaid Forms Manual
Please click here to see reports, publications, enrollment statistics and other resources from Louisiana Medicaid.
Click here to go to Louisiana Health Finder, to locate providers, find kid's health information and prescription drug prices.
Click here to see a list of services.
Click here to see a directory listing of Medicaid leadership.
Click here to Medicaid Organizational Chart